Sunday, April 11, 2010

 

Anglin Falls


Beverly hopped in the car today thinking I had a plan. As we started out of the driveway she asked where are we going? "I don't know." Earlier in the week, Paula said something about Anglin Falls. I had looked it up and Anglin Falls outside of Berea became our destination.

Keeping to our no interstates rule, we routed through Harrodsburg, Danville, Lancaster, and Berea: Google Map.

The trail was short (about 1.25 miles round trip). Mostly it was easy to moderately strenuous. As we were leaving, a young woman was attempting to free climb the face of a boulder, but there was nothing technical or intimidating about the trail anywhere along it. The last 150 yards or so it became significantly steeper and more rocky. A bit of scrambling over some fallen boulders and we made our way around and behind the falls where not much water was actually falling today. I hope that's not a sign of a dry summer. I guess you could call this picture "Find Beverly". She's sitting and enjoying the sun and scenery.

There were lots of wildflowers. Some of the highlights were: Jack-in-the-pulpit, False Rue Anemone, Violets, Trillium, Dutchman's-breeches, and Wood Poppy. I didn't have my wildflower book and misidentified the Rue Anemone. After admitting I couldn't claim even amateur status a helpful couple on the trail straightened me out. (I remember spring excursions around western Kentucky with my Dad who seemed to know every wildflower. I picked up some, but not enough.)

I am posting GPS logs of trails I've taken at GPSies.com. Again, I have to force Google Maps to take our back roads route. The trail map for Anglin Falls may help you find it.
Happy walking and driving.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?