Sunday, January 29, 2006

 

Lost in the Woods

There is something deeply relaxing about losing one's self in the woods. I don't mean getting lost. Today is a very blustery day. There was a short shower around sunrise and I thought the weathermen were going to be correct: warm, then clouds and rain later. The sun broke through the clouds, however. It stayed warm and the rain held off. I decided that today would be great for a visit to the Clyde Buckley Wildlife Sanctuary, near Frankfort, but in the northwest corner of Woodford County (map).

The sanctuary is privately owned and operated by the Audubon Society. It is bounded on the west by the Kentucky River and the north by Glenn's Creek. The area is situated mostly on the uplands above the deep-cut valley of the Kentucky River. You can see the river from several overlooks (but only in the winter when the leaf cover is gone). It is a mixture of relatively mature woodlands and open fields. Many of the woodland areas have a well developed canopy and an open understory. Geologically, the upland is characterized by a rolling topography developed on karsted limestone terrains. The trails are easy with gentle up and down traverses. I like the Red Trail and prefer to take the short Yellow Trail loop to extend the hike to about 2.5 miles.

In the woods, I first notice the wind making a muted roar through the branches. The trees all sway slightly, so the woods snap, creak, and moan as branch rubs branch. I am very much reminded of what I think it might sound like to be on one of the many masted sailing ships of old. Against this background, sometimes leaves would dance and rattle as the wind blew across the forest floor. Robins rustle in the leaves foraging for worms and calling to one another as they dart upward into the trees. Now and again there would be a crack and snap as a dead branch gives way and plummets from the canopy. When I listen closely, I hear deer as they graze, nosing into the leaves, searching for tender green shoots and the seed pods of honey locust. I know that was the sound, because I watched two does at only about 25 yards distance.

You develop a rhythm as you walk. I inhale for four strides and then exhale for four. They are controlled and deep, full breaths. I can smell the woods: leaves, moss, moist rotting wood. It all combines to make that "outdoors" smell, and Beverly will say that when I return. All-in-all, it is a satisfying meditation.

Bye the way, you might try to guess what is going on with the hole in the tree in the picture. The hole is about 10 inches long and 3 to 4 inches deep. There are also several smaller holes. You can't examine the details of the hole as I did, but you might come to the same conclusion as I did anyway. The holes can only be the work of a woodpecker. The only woodpecker I'm familiar with that will land on the ground or very low on trees and is big enough to make such a hole is the Pileated Woodpecker.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?