Saturday, July 16, 2005

 

Blackberry Days

The blackberry days of summer are here. Earlier in the year, just after the bushes bloomed, I cut paths through the briars with a weedeater. It is now time to reap the benefits of that cultivation. Blackberrys; the treat that most exemplifies "bitter sweet." Beverly remembered as a little girl, she would be equipped with a coffee can tied on a string so she could hang it from her neck; the better to pick with both hands. My fingers purple, because I just can't pass up some of the mushy ones. You really do have to make sure they are ripe. I step carefully among the canes, reaching as far as I can and hoping not to topple. Thorns prick my hands and arms as I weave my way into the thicket. Sometimes, you get just so far and then you have to gently spin around to release yourself from the briars. Mosquito whine. Flies buzz. Sweat trickes down chest and back. The first berrys make a little plunk when dropped into the container; later, as it fills, they make a soft plop. Cicadas buzz then rattle in flight as they move from tree to tree.

Blackberrys aren't the only days of summer. There are still and cloudy days full of anticipation and promise. Will it rain? Will the breeze freshen, temperature drop, leaves turn, and with the smell of rain, a thundershower might burst. The sun returns, sometimes with a rainbow, other times steam rises from the ground. There are bright hot humid days when it seems a job just to find some shade and a lemonade. Those days remind me of growing up. I would go across the street and hide from the heat in the VFW pool. I'd come back wrapped in a towel and dripping purple popcicle juice from my elbows.

My summer days are no longer childishly carefree, but the days are certainly a delicacy to savor. I'm going to wait and enjoy the lightening bugs' show this evening. Maybe tomorrow morning, I'll have pancakes, or waffles, or cereal, but most certainly fresh blackberrys.

BTW, I'm still working on the settings for this blog. The little comment link just below and to the right should be working if you have something to add. I have no idea yet if you'll have to register, or log in, or what.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?